1 December

Hochschild Mining halted operations at the San Jose copper-gold mine in Argentina due to the rising number of coronavirus cases in the Santa Cruz province, where the mine is located. The miner is sanitising the entire site including facilities and equipment and activity at the site is expected to resume this Friday.

Investment in gold exploration in Australia rose substantially in September quarter, registering a 17% growth to $356m from the previous quarter. The exploration of all minerals combined increased by 6% to $702m from the second quarter. Greenfield exploration recorded a 23% increase, while brownfield exploration rose by 17%, despite the ongoing pandemic.

Exports from Iran’s mining sector made up for more than 16% of the Middle-east nation’s non-oil exports in the March-October period despite some mining projects being deferred due to Covid-19 pandemic. The value of mining exports during the period reached $3.049bn, while the total income from mining and trade exports is projected to reach $10.5bn for the current year.

Uranium miner Cameco reported that one employee working at its Cigar Lake mine in Saskatchewan province in Canada tested positive for coronavirus. The individual has been in self-quarantine for the past ten days. The mine resumed operations in September after temporarily closing down in March due to onset of Covid-19 pandemic.