Rocksure International has been selected by state-owned Ghana Integrated Aluminium Development Corporation (GIADEC) to develop bauxite resources.

According to estimates, the country holds 900 million tonnes (Mt) of bauxite reserves, with the potential to produce between 10Mtpa and 20Mtpa, reported Bloomberg citing a state company.

Rocksure will be responsible for the development of a $1.2bn integrated project involving a bauxite mine at Nyinahin-Mpasaaso in the Ashanti Region in central Ghana, and a related refinery.

State-owned holding company GIADEC will own 70% of the project while the remaining 30% will be held by Rocksure.

In a tweet, GIADEC stated: “After a competitive and transparent investor engagement process, our strategic partner, Rocksure International will be executing project 2, which involves the development of a mine in Nyinahin-Mpasaaso and a refinery solution.”

GIADEC CEO Michael Ansah was quoted by Bloomberg as saying that the mine’s construction could cost $200m.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

The bauxite refinery, which is estimated to cost around $1bn, will be equipped to convert raw bauxite into aluminium products.

This development is part of Project Two of the four-phase development of Ghana’s Integrated Aluminium Industry (IAI), Ghanaian Times reported.

Expected to create more than 1,000 jobs, the Ghanaian bauxite mine would yield 5Mtpa of bauxite.

The mine is anticipated to have 390 million metric tonnes of bauxite, according to

The development of the mine and refinery forms part of the country’s efforts to develop an industry out of its untapped bauxite reserves.

GIADEC is also seeking bids from potential private companies to develop $6bn worth of infrastructure to support the development of bauxite reserves.