Equinox Gold has announced the inaugural gold pour at its Greenstone Mine in Ontario, Canada.

The initial pour produced 1,800oz of gold from the full recovery circuit, and on schedule.

This achievement underlines the mine’s potential as the company’s largest and lowest-cost producer.

Located in Geraldton, Ontario, about 275km north-east of Thunder Bay, Greenstone Mine is expected to become one of Canada’s largest gold mines.

The mine is situated on the traditional territories of four First Nations and the Métis Nation of Ontario, all of whom have been integral to the project’s development through long-term relationship agreements.

These agreements encompass environmental management, employment and training, business opportunities and financial participation, reflecting a collaborative approach to the mine’s operation.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

In December 2020, after acquiring Premier Gold, Equinox Gold completed a feasibility study for the Greenstone project.

The company initially acquired a 50% interest in April 2021, subsequently increased it to 60% and then acquired the remaining 40% in April 2024.

The ground-breaking for full-scale construction at the mine was announced on 27 October 2021.

Greenstone Mine is projected to be a major contributor to the gold industry, with expected annual production of around 400,000oz for the first five years and an average of 360,000oz per year over an initial 14-year mine life.

This output positions Greenstone as a significant player in the Canadian mining sector.

Equinox Gold president and CEO Greg Smith said: “This first gold pour represents another key step toward achieving commercial production at the Greenstone Mine.

“This is a proud moment for all involved, and I extend my congratulations to the entire Greenstone team. We look forward to ramping up to commercial production in the third quarter of this year and delivering sustained value from the Greenstone Mine for all our stakeholders.”