View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
April 26, 2021

Kazatomprom to sell stake in Ortalyk uranium mining operation

JSC National Atomic Company Kazatomprom has signed an agreement to sell a 49% stake in its wholly owned Ortalyk uranium mining operation to China General Nuclear Power Corporation (CGNPC) subsidiary for $435m.

JSC National Atomic Company Kazatomprom has signed an agreement to sell a 49% stake in its wholly owned Ortalyk uranium mining operation to China General Nuclear Power Corporation (CGNPC) subsidiary for $435m.

Free Whitepaper
img

Mining Mega Trends and Their Impact to your Organisation's Resilience

Numerous mega trends are impacting the mining industry, making an effective resilience program more important than ever to ensure that operations continue as intended. From ESG considerations, through to the use of advanced technologies such as Internet of Things devices, AI, and digital twins, as well as workplace safety, volatility in commodity markets, and the spectre of Covid-19 still looming. Each mega trend has a different impact that needs managing correctly, with a one-size-fits-all approach insufficient. This white paper identifies the mega trends affecting mining businesses, while exploring the opportunities, risks, and implications for operational resilience, with expert insight from Dynamiq on the best practices and approaches to improve business outcomes. Download this document to learn more.  
by Dynamiq
Enter your details here to receive your free Whitepaper.

Kazatomprom’s sale and purchase agreement is subject to conditions and governmental approvals.

The companies previously agreed to construct a fuel assembly plant (Ulba-FA) at the Ulba metallurgical facility in Kazakhstan.

At that time, CGNPC agreed to purchase Ulba-FA’s production in exchange for Kazatomprom agreeing to sell to a 49% interest in Ortalyk to the company or its affiliates.

Subject to conditions, governmental and legislative approvals, the transaction is expected to close by 30 June 2021.

Once the transaction closes, Kazatomprom will retain a controlling 51% interest in Ortalyk and the remaining 49% would be held by CGNPC or its affiliates.

Each partner will purchase a proportionate share of uranium production from Ortalyk according to interest.

Ortalyk owns a 100% stake in the Central Mynkuduk Deposit and fulfilled exploration and trial production at the Zhalpak deposit. These deposits comprise JORC-compliant aggregate mineral resources of approximately 38,957t of uranium as of 31 December 2020.

Mynkuduk has a designed capacity and subsoil use agreement in place for the production of 2,000tpa of uranium.

At Zhalpak, the production capacity will be determined through subsoil use contract negotiations with the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan.

Kazatomprom has attributable production that represents nearly 23% of global primary uranium production last year. All of the company’s mining operations are located in Kazakhstan and mined using ISR technology.

Related Companies

Free Whitepaper
img

Mining Mega Trends and Their Impact to your Organisation's Resilience

Numerous mega trends are impacting the mining industry, making an effective resilience program more important than ever to ensure that operations continue as intended. From ESG considerations, through to the use of advanced technologies such as Internet of Things devices, AI, and digital twins, as well as workplace safety, volatility in commodity markets, and the spectre of Covid-19 still looming. Each mega trend has a different impact that needs managing correctly, with a one-size-fits-all approach insufficient. This white paper identifies the mega trends affecting mining businesses, while exploring the opportunities, risks, and implications for operational resilience, with expert insight from Dynamiq on the best practices and approaches to improve business outcomes. Download this document to learn more.  
by Dynamiq
Enter your details here to receive your free Whitepaper.

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The mining industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month. The mining industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU

Thank you for subscribing to Mining Technology