Strata Refuge Chambers are designed to attach to the mine’s main compressor air lines and electrical power sources for an indefinite supply of breathable air and power.
The mine air passes through a specialized filtration system to perform a complete cleansing by removing any taste or odors and preventing CO2 and heat build-up. The entrance of air creates a positive pressure throughout the chamber and a non-return valve controls the pressure. Power attaches to operate the lights, siren, carbon dioxide scrubber, optional air conditioner and optional atmospheric monitoring system. Strata Refuge Chambers are equipped with a standard 48 hours of battery and air back-up supplies. These systems are upgradeable to 96 hrs. Backup power is a bank of fully automatic 24V batteries at the rear of the chamber and backup air is provided by on-board oxygen cylinders and an active soda lime carbon dioxide scrubber.
Technical Advancements and Customization
Technical advancements of the Strata Emergency Refuge Chambers include:
- Robust Construction – Engineered and constructed to customer specifications.
- Quality Air Supply System – High quality air filtration system purifies mine air. Backup air supply provides at least 48 hours of breathable air.
- CO2 Scrubber System – Active CO2 Scrubber removes carbon dioxide using soda lime chemicals
- CO Diversion System – Monitors air quality entering the chamber through compressed mine-air supply lines
- CO Removal – Battery powered catalytic CO Converter
- Air Conditioning – Optional DC Split Level air conditioner
- Standard & Custom Sizes – Strata Safety Refuge Chambers are available in standard & custom sizes to meet individual customer needs. This includes custom length and heights of the structure
- Air-Tight Rugged Design – Withstand harsh environments and provides immediate breathable air upon entry
- AirLock Entry – Sectioned off area to help minimize the entrance of air contaminants into the main chamber. Optional purge air system can be used to flush the air in the airlock prior to occupants’ entrance into the chamber
- 24V Lighting – Internal 24V LED lighting system
- Drinking Water & Food – Includes food & drinking water in storage compartments under the seats
- Easy Handling – Built-in fork lift guides, lifting facility and skid base assist with moving & relocating the refuge chamber. Optional wheel and tow hitch packages available
- Lavatory-Chemical toilet and supplies in a private compartment
- Cushioned Seating & Storage Areas – Cushioned seating for all occupants and storage areas for additional supplies/equipment
- Fire Extinguisher – 20lb/9kg fire extinguisher
- Escape Hatch – Built-in emergency escape hatch
- External Location Lights – External location lights & warning siren
The dimensions of the Strata Refuge Chambers can be customized according to specific customer requirements. A few examples include:
- Tunneling (reduced width)
- Low Profile mines (reduced height)
- Powerless (air-powered and MSHA-approved components)
- Compact and mobile (small, lightweight, and equipped with wheels)
Strata Refuge Chamber Wheel and Tow Hitch Package
In order to assist moving the chambers into and around the mines and in restrictive areas, Strata Safety has engineered a robust wheel and tow hitch package to be added during construction of the unit or retrofitted later. These additions will significantly reduce wear and tear on the unit during movement. The wheels are made of solid, highly resistant rubber (non-air filled).
Continuously monitor the chamber’s internal and external atmospheric conditions using the Strata Sentry Sensor station.
- Gas Monitoring: (O², CO2, CO, H2S)
- Battery Voltage Indicator
- Battery Temperature indicator
- Temperature inside & outside the chamber
- Door ‘OPEN’ Sensor (optional)
- Remotely Turn Emergency Chamber Lights on during emergency
- Remotely Turn Emergency Siren on during emergency
IP Fiber Camera
Remotely monitor the inside of refuge chamber in real-time. Data transmitted via mine’s fiber network and relayed to the surface.