Oriole reports positive drilling results at Dalafin project in Senegal

25 October 2018 (Last Updated October 25th, 2018 13:28)

Oriole Resources has confirmed significant gold anomalism at the Dalafin project in the Kédougou-Kéniéba inlier of eastern Senegal.

Oriole Resources has confirmed significant gold anomalism at the Dalafin project in the Kédougou-Kéniéba inlier of eastern Senegal.

The encouraging results follow systematic Air Core (AC) drilling conducted at the project by Iamgold.

The campaign confirmed the presence of broad zones of anomalous gold mineralisation, as well as higher grade samples.

Oriole owns an 85% stake in the Dalafin project, while the remaining 15% stake is held by Energy & Mining (EMC).

“These encouraging results have not only supported previous work by Oriole but have importantly also identified new targets.”

In March, Oriole signed an option agreement over the project with Iamgold. Pursuant to the agreement, Iamgold can acquire a 70% interest in the project by incurring an expenditure of $8m.

Iamgold commenced a multi-phase drilling programme on the southernmost Madina Bafé prospect in May. The prospect is situated around 12km to the west-northwest of its 2.49Moz Boto gold project, for which the company will soon apply for a mining licence.

Oriole Resources CEO Tim Livesey said: “We are very glad to see IAMGOLD progressing so quickly with their earn-in on Dalafin and are especially pleased that the initial AC drilling campaign has been successful in ‘seeing-through’ the lateritic cover, identifying broad zones of anomalous gold mineralisation, as well as higher grade samples that could indicate a feeder zone at depth.

“These encouraging results have not only supported previous work by Oriole but have importantly also identified new targets. Both will be the focus of deeper, follow-up RC and diamond drilling, commencing next month.”

Previously, Oriole carried out exploration work, including trenching, mapping, and sampling programmes at Madina Bafé. The work identified a 1,200m x 30m-45m northeast-striking mineralised zone in the south-east of the prospect.

Mineralisation identified at the prospect included sheeted tourmaline-quartz veins and quartz-tourmaline breccias.

Next month, a 3,000m reverse circulation (RC) drilling programme will be undertaken to test newly generated targets and along strike from mineralised holes previously reported by Oriole.