Lithium Americas has started development planning for phase II expansion at the Caucharí-Olaroz lithium project in Argentina.

Located in Salar de Olaroz and Salar de Cauchari in the Jujuy province, the project is being developed in joint venture with Ganfeng Lithium.

The project’s phase II aims to add at least 20,000 tonnes per annum (tpa) of lithium carbonate equivalent (LCE) production capacity.

Construction is currently in progress for the 40,000tpa stage 1 at the Caucharí-Olaroz project.

Lithium Americas plans to achieve first production from the project in mid-2022, with currently more than 1,000 workers on site.

Construction on the second stage of the project is due to begin in the second half of next year with plans to commence production in 2025.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

Lithium Americas chairman George Ireland said: “Caucharí-Olaroz is on track to become the largest new lithium brine operation in over 20 years.

“With construction for Stage 1 expected to be complete within the next year, together with Ganfeng Lithium, we are beginning to plan our next phase of growth in Argentina.”

The partners are also planning to add infrastructure at the site to support long-term expansion beyond the second stage.

As per estimates, the Cauchari-Olaroz mine contains brine reserves of 1.1 billion cubic metres, grading 607mg/l lithium.

The project is expected to have 682,920t of lithium metal and 3.6 million tonnes of lithium carbonate equivalent in proven and probable reserves.

Lithium Americas holds a 49% stake in the lithium project, while its Chinese partner has the remaining 51% holding.