View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
February 15, 2022

Ivanhoe Mines and Gécamines sign deal to redevelop DRC copper-zinc mine

The mine, which has been on care and maintenance since 1993, is expected to have operational life of 14 years.

Ivanhoe Mines and commodity firm Gécamines have signed a deal to return the Kipushi mine in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) to production.

The firms will form a new joint venture (JV) to redevelop the Kipushi high-grade, underground zinc-copper mine in the Central African Copper belt.

The mine was placed on care and maintenance in 1993 due to economic and political factors.

Ivanhoe Mines purchased a 68% stake in the Kipushi Project in 2011. The remaining 32% interest is held by the DRC’s state-owned mining company Gécamines.

The redevelopment project, which is estimated to have a pre-production capital cost of $382m, will use the significant existing surface and underground infrastructure.

In accordance with a new feasibility study, the Kipushi is expected to have an operational life of 14 years.

Ivanhoe Mines executive co-chair Robert Friedland said: “The new agreement now allows us to responsibly, efficiently and expeditiously develop Kipushi into an ultra-high-grade zinc producer, with outstanding potential to find more zinc, copper, germanium and silver resources – paving the way to fulfilling its promise of significant, long-lasting, economic and social benefits for the Congolese people.”

The new agreement outlines the commercial terms and forms the basis of a commercial JV agreement between Ivanhoe and Gécamines.

Ivanhoe Mines said that the Kipushi project will be the highest-grade major zinc mine in the world.

It is expected to have an average grade of 36.4% zinc during the first five years of production.

Initial mining by the two firms at the Kipushi project will focus on the Big Zinc zone.

Gécamines CEO Bester-Hilaire Ntambwe Ngoy Kabongo said: “Gécamines sees in it the opportunity for an improved exploitation of the Big Zinc, the development of an integrated economic fabric and the imbedding of skills in the Haut-Katanga province.”

Based on drilling campaigns, Ivanhoe has upgraded and expanded the mine’s measured and indicated mineral resources to an estimated 11.78 million tonnes grading 35.34% zinc, 0.8% copper, 23 grams/tonne (g/t) silver and 64g/t germanium.

Last year, BHP Group was in talks with Ivanhoe Mines to acquire part of the Western Foreland exploration area in the DRC.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The mining industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month. The mining industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU

Thank you for subscribing to Mining Technology