Arc Minerals has launched an exploration drilling programme in Botswana’s Kalahari Copper Belt (KCB), targeting its PL135/2017 and PL162/2017 licences within the Virgo Project.

This initiative follows a scout drilling programme that confirmed geological formations and an induced polarization survey aiding in drill site selection.

Arc noted that the exploration at PL135/2017 will employ percussion and RC drilling to penetrate the Kalahari sand and reach the target formations.

Khoemacau Copper Mining, whose prospecting licences surround Arc’s PL135/2017 licence on three sides, was recently purchased by MMG for around $1.9bn (A$2.88bn).

The PL135/2017 licence is situated on the south-east edge of the Kalahari Copper Belt. It shares a geological setting with the Mawana Gold Discovery, which Khoemacau recently drilled, and the Zone 9 exploration target, where drilling has already intersected economic grades of copper mineralisation.

The company’s prospecting permit has these discoveries at its north-western and south-eastern boundaries, respectively.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

Subsequently, Diamond Drilling (DD) will explore these formations further. The planned programme includes five holes, combining 930m of percussion/RC and 1,320m of DD drilling, totalling 2,250m.

For the PL162/2017 licence, three initial holes totalling 750m of percussion/RC drilling are scheduled.

Two of these will investigate a soil geochemical anomaly extending 5km along the licence’s south-western edge, and the third will probe an interpreted syncline in the north-eastern area.

Meanwhile, last year, Arc was in the news for its joint venture (JV) with a unit of Anglo American on Zambian copper interests.

Anglo American holds a 70% stake in the JV, with the remaining 30% stake held by Arc subsidiary Unico Minerals.