Gemecs, a medium-sized geological company that delivers geological consulting services to the mining industry, would like to make use of this opportunity to update its customers on the recent developments within the company and service capabilities.
Gemecs is a privately owned South African company founded in 1991. Koos Conradie the company’s co-founder in 1991, and has since functioned as its principal consultant. Since founding the company, he has been involved in a wide variety of projects covering computer-based solutions in geology and mining, especially orebody modelling, resource and ore reserve evaluation. The consulting projects have covered exploration, project development and mining, as well as a wide variety of mineral types including platinum group metals, gold, base metals, coal, diamonds, industrial minerals and heavy sands.
Koos Conradie has been with Gemecs since 1991, and unfortunately the company has to announce the resignation of Koos as director and full-time employee, effective from 1 March 2010. However, Koos will still be working as an associate of Gemecs in order to retain his skills and experience to all the customers. Coenie van Niekerk has taken over the duties as managing director of Gemecs and will continue to work in this position, as he has been doing successfully for the past year.
Gemecs is also pleased to announce the appointment of Kobus Dippenaar as full-time employee from 1 March 2010 to assist with resource modelling and exploration management projects. Kobus is a geologist with 20 years of coal-mining, geohydrology, and environmental management experience.
Two junior geologists were appointed on 1 June 2010 to work full-time in the Middelburg office. Gemecs would like to welcome Pieter Koegelenberg and Johann Conradie to the team. Pieter has two years, and Johann three years of geological field and exploration geology working experience.
Gemecs also managed to secure the services of Hein Fourie as an associate of Gemecs to assist with mine-design and scheduling tasks. Hein has been working as mining consultant on various mine design projects since 2002 and Gemecs clients can now make use of his mine-design and scheduling services.
Johan Swart, who has been an associate with Gemecs since 2007, has ended his association with the company, and will move to Golder Associates from 1 March. Gemecs wishes Johan all the best for the future, and would like to thank him for his services during his time at Gemecs.
New office in Middelburg
As part of the commitment to excellent service, Gemecs has opened a new satellite office in Middelburg. Kobus Dippenaar will head up this new site office. A total of four full-time geologists are based in the office, offering geological services to Mpumalanga clients.
Gemecs staff compliment
The full-time staff of Gemecs is as follow:
- Coenie van Niekerk – geological consultant
- Nico Denner – geological consultant
- Kobus Dippenaar – geological consultant
- Petra Pospisek – geologist, Gemcom MinexTM support and training
- Paula Preston – geologist, resource modeling, database services and GIS
- Esther van der Westhuizen – geologist, coal exploration and database services
- Johann Conradie – geologist, exploration and geological services
- Pieter Koegelenberg – geologist, exploration and geological services
In addition to our full-time employees, Gemecs has secured a number of experienced experts as associates to assist with various projects:
- Koos Conradie – geological modelling and Minex expert
- Johan Repsold – training and database services, GBIS database expert
- Leon Nel – academic advisor, exploration and core logging, coal and uranium expert
- Terry Fox – exploration management, geological services, desktop studies, coal expert
- Willem Coetzee – survey, registered with PLATO
- Flip Strydom – core logging, Highveld / Witbank coal fields expert
- Lou Greyling – core logging. Ermelo coal fields expert.
- Willie Lemmer – core logging, natal coal fields expert
- Hein Fourie – mine consultant, mine design and scheduling
- Sylvester Peverelle – prospecting, mining and property rights expert
- Nico Olwagen – exploration services
- Antonie Smith – exploration services
- Marcus Chatfield – wireline logging and geophysics expert