Canadian mining company Teck Resources has raised its stake in the Quebrada Blanca copper mine to 90% by acquiring Chilean company Inversiones Mineras, which held a 13.5% stake in operating company Compañía Minera Teck Quebrada Blanca (QBSA).

Teck acquired Inversiones Mineras for a total consideration value of $162.5m. The remaining 10% stake is owned by Chilean state agency ENAMI.

A copper development project in Northern Chile, the Quebrada Blanca Phase 2 (QB2) is a principal asset of QBSA.

“This transaction simplifies the ownership and capital structure for QB2, giving Teck additional flexibility with respect to financing options for the project.”

Commenting on the deal, Teck Resources president and CEO Don Lindsay said: “This transaction simplifies the ownership and capital structure for QB2, giving Teck additional flexibility with respect to financing options for the project.

“QB2 is a high-quality, long-life asset in a low risk jurisdiction that will operate through multiple price cycles at a low-cost, substantially increase Teck’s copper production, and generate significant value.”

Under the agreement, the Canadian company paid $52.5m in cash on closing and will pay further $60m once the QB2 project receives social and environmental approvals. The remaining $50m will be paid within 30 days of Quebrada Blanca Phase 2 first production.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData

The Quebrada Blanca mine is nearing the end of its life and Teck Resources is waiting for regulatory approvals before deciding whether or not to proceed with Phase 2.

However, regulatory decision is not expected to come before the second half of this year.