View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. Market Data
October 17, 2011

Mitsui to invest in Australian coal mine extension

Japanese firm Mitsui & Co is planning to invest 9.6bn yen ($124m) in the Kestrel mine extension in Queensland, Australia, due to a recent increase in development costs.

Japanese firm Mitsui & Co is planning to invest 9.6bn yen ($124m) in the Kestrel mine extension in Queensland, Australia, due to a recent increase in development costs.

Mitsui holds a 20% stake in Kestrel Joint Venture, which owns the project, and the remaining 80% stake is held by Rio Tinto.

The Kestrel mine extension will require a total of 48bn yen ($621m) in additional capital expenditure.

Currently, the Kestrel mine produces about 4Mtpa of metallurgical and thermal coal.

The extension is expected to increase the operation period of Kestrel by 20 years, with estimated coal production of 6.5Mtpa.

The total capital expenditure of the project, including the additional capital expenditure, will be about 157.6bn yen ($2bn), while Mitsui’s total capital expenditure will be 31.5bn yen ($407m).

 

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The mining industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month. The mining industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU

Thank you for subscribing to Mining Technology