View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
August 25, 2020

Canadian firm Midland signs nickel exploration funding deal with BHP

Canadian miner Midland Exploration’s subsidiary Midland Base Metals has executed a new funding deal with BHP subsidiary Rio Algom to advance nickel exploration activities in northern Quebec, Canada.

Canadian miner Midland Exploration’s subsidiary Midland Base Metals has executed a new funding deal with BHP subsidiary Rio Algom to advance nickel exploration activities in northern Quebec, Canada.

Under the first phase, Rio Algom will fund 100% of Midland’s exploration for nickel within the Nunavik territory up to C$1.4m ($1.06m), on an annual basis, for a minimum period of two years.

Midland also noted that BHP may propose additional exploration work for C$700,000 ($530,736) before advancing an ‘identified’ project to the second phase.

Midland Exploration stated: “Following the first phase, one or more specific exploration targets may be advanced to a second phase to be further developed as a separate designated project.

Meanwhile, a formal joint venture (JV) would be formed in the third phase with initial participating interests of 70% by BHP and the remaining 30% by Midland.

Midland Exploration added: “Both parties would contribute to the expenses pro-rata to their participating interests. BHP would be the operator for all JV Projects.

“For each JV project, BHP will pay to Midland a joint venture success fee of C$200,000 ($151,639) after the formation of the joint venture, including the transfer of tenements, data ownership and any other assets related to the JV project to, or for the benefit of, the joint venture.”

Midland’s partnership with Rio Algom to explore nickel comes as demand for electric vehicle (EV) battery metal has increased, Reuters reported.

In February 2019, Midland Exploration started a drilling programme totalling more than 1,800m to test new geophysical targets identified on the Jouvex project in Canada.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The mining industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month. The mining industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU

Thank you for subscribing to Mining Technology