Singapore-based Golden Investments plans to seek a position on Australia-based Stanmore Coal’s board, despite its recent failure to takeover the coal producer for $171m (A$240.2m).

In November 2018, Golden Investments acquired a 19.9% interest in Stanmore Coal from Hong Kong’s Greatgroup Investments, thereby becoming the company’s largest shareholder. Later, it initiated a complete takeover bid, offering A$0.95 per share to Stanmore  Coal.

The company now holds a 25.5% stake in the Australian firm at the close of the buy-out offer on 22 January.

Golden Investments, which is majority owned by Golden Energy and Resources, intended to acquire Stanmore due to its high-grade coking coal reserves and existing infrastructure.

However, its bid was lower than a BDO valuation, which estimated prices to be between A$1.48 and A$1.90 for each share

Following the increase in its stake, Golden Investments does not intend to make major changes to the Australian firm’s operations, according to the Straits Times.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

Stanmore Coal operates the Isaac Plains complex, which generates coking coal and thermal coal.

“Golden Investments intended to acquire Stanmore due to its Australian jurisdiction, high-grade coking coal deposits and existing infrastructure.”

The firm has many extension projects with higher grades of coal. It also has a portfolio of greenfield coking and thermal coal assets.

Golden Investments director Mark Zhou was quoted by Reuters as saying: “We look forward to meeting soon with the Chairman and Board of Stanmore Coal and will seek board representation.”

The firm has not begun negotiations as the takeover offer has just completed.

Zhou was quoted by as saying: “We will be in discussions on what the appropriate number would be.”

Golden Investments is 51% owned by Golden Energy and Resources, while the remaining 49% stake is owned by Ascend Global, a fund managed by Singapore-based Ascend Capital Advisers.

Golden Energy and Resources is majority owned by Indonesia’s Sinar Mas Group.