View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
October 12, 2021

Downer EDI to divest Open Cut Mining East unit to Indonesia’s BUMA

The sale of the Open Cut Mining East business marks the firm’s final step in its mining portfolio divestment plan.

Australia-based Downer EDI has agreed to sell its coal mining contractor business to an affiliate of Indonesia-based PT Bukit Makmur Mandiri Utama (BUMA), thus completing its withdrawal from mining.

Free Whitepaper
img

Mining Mega Trends and Their Impact to your Organisation's Resilience

Numerous mega trends are impacting the mining industry, making an effective resilience program more important than ever to ensure that operations continue as intended. From ESG considerations, through to the use of advanced technologies such as Internet of Things devices, AI, and digital twins, as well as workplace safety, volatility in commodity markets, and the spectre of Covid-19 still looming. Each mega trend has a different impact that needs managing correctly, with a one-size-fits-all approach insufficient. This white paper identifies the mega trends affecting mining businesses, while exploring the opportunities, risks, and implications for operational resilience, with expert insight from Dynamiq on the best practices and approaches to improve business outcomes. Download this document to learn more.  
by Dynamiq
Enter your details here to receive your free Whitepaper.

BUMA will pay around $110m (A$150m) in cash as deal consideration, subject to completion adjustments.

According to the agreement, BUMA’s newly incorporated Australian subsidiary BUMA International will acquire the Open Cut Mining East business along with its related assets, liabilities, employees and contracts.

BUMA International is 90% owned by BUMA while the other 10% is held by AGDM Investments.

Downer has already received a deposit of $11.7m (A$16m) from BUMA for the transaction. The balance would be paid upon the completion of the deal, which is anticipated before the end of the year.

The deal is subject to customary conditions, including the novation of certain contracts.

Downer EDI CEO Grant Fenn called the sale the final step in the firm’s divestment of its mining portfolio.

Downer has raised $571.1m (A$778m) through the divestment programme, including its earlier announced mining and laundries deals.

Fenn added: “An important part of our urban services strategy was the exit from our capital-intensive mining businesses.

“The sale of Open Cut Mining East is the last step of this process and follows the divestments of Open Cut Mining West, Downer Blasting Services, Underground mining, Otraco, the Snowden consulting business and our share in the RTL Mining and Earthworks joint venture.”

The Mining East business’ aggregated production capacity stands at around 160 million billion cubic metre per annum of overburden removal.

Last year, Downer EDI secured a contract from Fortescue Metals to complete works at the Eliwana iron ore mine in the Pilbara region of Western Australia.

Related Companies

Free Whitepaper
img

Mining Mega Trends and Their Impact to your Organisation's Resilience

Numerous mega trends are impacting the mining industry, making an effective resilience program more important than ever to ensure that operations continue as intended. From ESG considerations, through to the use of advanced technologies such as Internet of Things devices, AI, and digital twins, as well as workplace safety, volatility in commodity markets, and the spectre of Covid-19 still looming. Each mega trend has a different impact that needs managing correctly, with a one-size-fits-all approach insufficient. This white paper identifies the mega trends affecting mining businesses, while exploring the opportunities, risks, and implications for operational resilience, with expert insight from Dynamiq on the best practices and approaches to improve business outcomes. Download this document to learn more.  
by Dynamiq
Enter your details here to receive your free Whitepaper.

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The mining industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month. The mining industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU

Thank you for subscribing to Mining Technology