Receive our newsletter – data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
September 17, 2020

Boston Shaker project achieves commercial production at Tropicana

AngloGold Ashanti, alongside its joint venture (JV) partner IGO, has declared commercial production at the Boston Shaker underground project at its Tropicana gold operation in Western Australia (WA).

AngloGold Ashanti, alongside its joint venture (JV) partner IGO, has declared commercial production at the Boston Shaker underground project at its Tropicana gold operation in Western Australia (WA).

Located about 330 km east-northeast of Kalgoorlie in WA, the Tropicana operation is managed by AngloGold Ashanti Australia (AGAA) with a 70% interest, while IGO holds the remaining 30% ownership.

In March last year, development of the Boston Shaker mine was approved.

The mine achieved commercial production this month on schedule, below the A$105.7m ($77m) budget and without any “recordable” safety incidents.

AngloGold said that the first production stope was fired in June this year, with underground mining now reaching a rate of 700,000 tonnes per annum (tpa).

The joint venture plans to ramp up production to 1.1 million tpa by March next year.

Content from our partners
Digitalisation and its impact on the mining industry
Case study: how to save time, cost, and mining interaction for service and dewatering bores
Innovations in mining and the future of the industry

AngloGold Ashanti Australia senior vice-president Michael Erickson said: “Underground mining at Boston Shaker will leverage further value from this high performing operation, achieving payback in just over three years with upside potential as the deposit remains open at depth.

“The underground mine will contribute higher grade mill feed from the current quarter onwards, improving the gold production profile and enhancing cash flow during calendar 2021-2023 when the mine plan includes periods of higher waste stripping in the Havana open pit.”

In April last year, AngloGold Ashanti and IGO approved a $79.3m expansion development at the Boston Shaker underground project.

In December 2018, IGO released a pre-feasibility study (PFS) that confirmed the technical and financial viability of underground mining at the Tropicana gold mine.

 

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The mining industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU