Ireland-based exploration company Arkle Resources has received three licences, covering an area of 163ha, with a prospect for lithium in Zimbabwe.

Located in the Insiza District of the Matabeleland South Province, the licences cover a small area.

Following identification of the free ground, Arkle pegged the area and submitted an application for the licences.

In the late 1960s, the ground was subject to limited mining of lepidolite, a lithium-bearing mineral associated with spodumene.

The company said that the licences represent a ‘low-cost entry’ into Zimbabwe, one of the globe’s biggest lithium producers.

Arkle chairman John Teeling said: “The directors have long experience in Zimbabwe and are aware of the extensive history and potential for hard rock lithium in the country. The lithium is contained in spodumene/pegmatites.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

“It is only recently that rising lithium prices and the potential of a massive supply gap to meet battery demand have made the extraction of hard rock lithium viable.

“We have examined what ground was available and been granted three licences, one of which was a small lepidolite producer – a lithium-associated mineral. We continue to examine additional opportunities in battery metals.”

Earlier this year, Arkle and its joint venture partner Group Eleven Resources started drilling on the Stonepark group of licences in Limerick, Ireland.

Group Eleven Resources has a 76.56% stake in the Stonepark project while Arkle owns the remaining 23.44% holding.

The property is located adjacent to Glencore’s Pallas Green deposit, which is said to be one of the world’s largest undeveloped zinc projects.