Receive our newsletter – data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
July 17, 2019

Alrosa and ZCDC to develop diamond deposits in Zimbabwe

Russian mining company Alrosa has signed a joint venture (JV) agreement with Zimbabwe Consolidated Diamond Company (ZCDC) to develop diamond deposits in Zimbabwe.

Russian mining company Alrosa has signed a joint venture (JV) agreement with Zimbabwe Consolidated Diamond Company (ZCDC) to develop diamond deposits in Zimbabwe.

Under the terms of the agreement, Alrosa will own a 70% controlling stake for the development of greenfield projects and ZCDC will hold the remaining 30% interest.

The JV will be initially engaged in the geological exploration of greenfield deposits. The two parties will then focus on diamond mining and the independent sale of rough diamonds in external markets.

The new collaboration will focus work on the licences that ZCDC already owns, as well as in the new prospective areas of the country.

In the event of a discovery of a new prospect, the JV will directly contact the Zimbabwe Ministry of Mines and Mining Development requesting a new licence in that area.

Alrosa deputy CEO Vladimir Marchenko said: “Creation of a joint venture is a major step in the cooperation with our partners in Zimbabwe. We are committed to productive work in the exploration of new promising areas and subsequent diamond mining.

Content from our partners
Digitalisation and its impact on the mining industry
Case study: how to save time, cost, and mining interaction for service and dewatering bores
Innovations in mining and the future of the industry

“Our specialists have been working in Zimbabwe for more than three months now, and the national authorities have been of great support to them. We have chosen various projects for the joint venture, and part of them is to be launched this autumn.

“Of the existing fields for development, we are preliminary considering the areas located in the Chimanimani region.”

Last December, an affiliated company Alrosa (ZIMBABWE) was established in the African country. The Zimbabwean entity is responsible for the implementation of projects in mineral exploration and mining operations.

Alrosa has also recently extracted a large rough diamond from the Zapolyarnaya pipe of the Verkhne-Munskoye deposit.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The mining industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU