View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
March 23, 2022

Algerian and Chinese firms sign $7bn JV deal for phosphate mining

The project will involve development and exploitation of phosphate deposit in Bled El Hadba, Djebel Onk, Tebessa.

Four Algerian and Chinese firms have signed a deal, worth nearly $7bn, to develop an integrated phosphates project (PPI) in Algeria.

Free Whitepaper
img

Mining Mega Trends and Their Impact to your Organisation's Resilience

Numerous mega trends are impacting the mining industry, making an effective resilience program more important than ever to ensure that operations continue as intended. From ESG considerations, through to the use of advanced technologies such as Internet of Things devices, AI, and digital twins, as well as workplace safety, volatility in commodity markets, and the spectre of Covid-19 still looming. Each mega trend has a different impact that needs managing correctly, with a one-size-fits-all approach insufficient. This white paper identifies the mega trends affecting mining businesses, while exploring the opportunities, risks, and implications for operational resilience, with expert insight from Dynamiq on the best practices and approaches to improve business outcomes. Download this document to learn more.  
by Dynamiq
Enter your details here to receive your free Whitepaper.

The agreement has been signed by Algerian firms Manal and Asmidal, a subsidiary of Algerian energy firm Sonatrach, with Chinese firms Wuhuan Engineering and Tian’An Chemical, a nitrogen and phosphate fertilisers production company.

The deal will lead to the creation of an Algerian-Chinese company, named Algerian Chinese Fertilizers Company (ACFC), for the integrated phosphates project.

The Algerian firms will own 56% of the new company while the Chinese companies will own the remaining 44% stake.

Said to be the country’s first integrated project in the field of mining and fertiliser production, the PPI will see the development and exploitation of the phosphate deposit of Bled El Hadba, Djebel Onk, Tebessa.

It will also include the transformation of phosphates into fertiliser, as well as the construction of port facilities at the port of Annaba.

The project is expected to have 5.4Mtpa of fertiliser production capacity.

Furthermore, the project is expected to create around 12,000 construction jobs, 6,000 direct jobs and 24,000 indirect jobs in the operating phase.

Fertilisers and phytosanitary products industrial group Asmidal was launched following the reorganisation of Sonatrach Group.

The deal comes more than three years after Sonatrach and Chinese state-owned conglomerate Citic signed a $6bn deal to mine the phosphate plant in Tebessa.

Related Companies

Free Whitepaper
img

Mining Mega Trends and Their Impact to your Organisation's Resilience

Numerous mega trends are impacting the mining industry, making an effective resilience program more important than ever to ensure that operations continue as intended. From ESG considerations, through to the use of advanced technologies such as Internet of Things devices, AI, and digital twins, as well as workplace safety, volatility in commodity markets, and the spectre of Covid-19 still looming. Each mega trend has a different impact that needs managing correctly, with a one-size-fits-all approach insufficient. This white paper identifies the mega trends affecting mining businesses, while exploring the opportunities, risks, and implications for operational resilience, with expert insight from Dynamiq on the best practices and approaches to improve business outcomes. Download this document to learn more.  
by Dynamiq
Enter your details here to receive your free Whitepaper.

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The mining industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month. The mining industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU

Thank you for subscribing to Mining Technology