North America’s metals & mining industry saw a rise of 31.58% in deal activity during May 2022, when compared with the last 12-month average, led by Gold Fields‘ $6.7bn acquisition of Yamana Gold, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
A total of 25 metals & mining industry deals worth $7.4bn were announced for the region in May 2022, against the 12-month average of 19 deals.
Of all the deal types, M&A saw most activity in May 2022 with 20 transactions, representing an 80% share for the region.
In second place was venture financing with three deals, followed by private equity deals with two transactions, respectively capturing a 12% and 8% share of the overall deal activity for the month.
In terms of value of deals, M&A was the leading category in North America’s metals & mining industry with $7.41bn, while venture financing and private equity deals totalled $24.8m and $3.23m, respectively.
North America metals & mining industry deals in May 2022: Top deals
The top five metals & mining deals accounted for 99.6% of the overall value during May 2022.
The combined value of the top five metals & mining deals stood at $7.4bn, against the overall value of $7.4bn recorded for the month.
The top five metals & mining industry deals of May 2022 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Gold Fields $6.7bn acquisition deal with Yamana Gold
2) The $646.37m acquisition of Nomad RoyaltyLtd by Sandstorm Gold
3) 1363013 B.C. $33.67m acquisition deal for 25.2% stake in Entree Resources
4) The $13m venture financing of AstroForge by Aera VC,Earthrise Capital Partners,Initialized Capital,Liquid 2 Ventures,Seven Seven Six venture fund and Soma Capital
5) Ivor Exploration $10.03m acquisition deal with Panerai Capital