Total metals & mining industry deals for Q1 2020 worth $7.87bn were announced globally, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the code below into your website to display the chart.
The value marked a decrease of 63.2% over the previous quarter and a drop of 47.6% when compared with the last four-quarter average of $15.01bn.
In terms of number of deals, the sector saw a drop of 4.8% over the last four-quarter average with 315 deals against the average of 331 deals.
In value terms, North America led the activity with deals worth $4.73bn.
Metals & mining industry deals in Q1 2020: Top deals
The top five metals & mining deals accounted for 58.4% of the overall value during Q1 2020.
The combined value of the top five metals & mining deals stood at $4.59bn, against the overall value of $7.87bn recorded for the month.
The top five metals & mining industry deals of Q1 2020 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Stone Canyon Industries Holdings’ $2bn asset transaction with Kissner Group Holdings, Metalmark Capital Holdings and Silvertree-KMC II
2) The $1.06bn acquisition of China Nonferrous Mining by China Nonferrous Metal Industry’s Foreign Engineering and Construction Co.,Ltd.(NFC)
3) Endeavour Mining’s $696.27m acquisition of Semafo
4) The $537m asset transaction with Hycroft Mining by Mudrick Capital Acquisition
5) Harmony Gold Mining’s acquisition of AngloGold Security Services, Covalent Water Co, First Uranium (Pty) and Masakhisane Investments for $300m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.