Great Western Minerals Group (GWMG) has entered into a heads-of-terms agreement with Chinese firm Ganzhou Qiandong Rare Earth Group (GQD) to build a rare earth separation plant in South Africa, near GWMG’s Steenkampskraal operation.

Under the terms of the agreement, a new joint venture (JV) firm called Great Western GQD Rare Earth Materials will be created, with GWMG holding a 75% interest and GQD holding the remaining 25%.

The JV will provide services such as design, manufacturing, construction, commissioning and operation of the planned separation facility.

The plant will be fed with rare earth chloride from GWMG’s Steenkampskraal monazite mine and with feedstock from sources in the region.

GWMG president and CEO Jim Engdahl said the firm’s team of metallurgists will work closely with GQD’s team to finalise process and plant design in order to commence construction of the plant in early 2012.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData