Indonesian coal companies will increase their coal production rate by 23% in 2011 to meet growing domestic and global market demand.

Asosiasi Pertambangan Batubara Indonesia – Indonesian Coal Mining Assosiation (APBI-ICMA) estimates that the country’s coal production will reach 340 million tons per annum (mtpa) from 275 mtpa in 2010, according to The Jakarta Post.

It is estimated that 20% of the coal will be used for the domestic market and the remaining 80% will be exported to the international market.

APBI-ICMA executive director Supriatna Suhala said it foresees increasing demand for coal in emerging markets, particularly to supply the energy sectors.

Japan, India, China and South Korea will remain the largest importers of Indonesian coal, Suhala said.