Smart Staff International Permit-to-Work Systems, Technical Writing, EHS Management Systems and Recruitment for the Mining Industry
Smart Staff International (SSI) is an Australian-based company that provides services to the minerals processing, mining, heavy industrial and utilities industries.
Permit-to-work systems for the mining industry
SSI works in close partnership with our clients in designing and implementing permit-to-work systems. Hazard-specific activities that can be managed through an effective permit-to-work system include but are not limited to:
- Hazardous energy control
- Confined space entry
- Working at heights
- Hot work
- Excavation and penetration
- Hazardous materials management
- High-voltage access
- Removal of flooring or hand rails
- Impairment of critical safety systems
Our team has been involved in the development and application of systems and procedures at an operational level and understands what works and how to engage stakeholders.
Simple, robust permit-to-work systems
SSI believes in developing systems that are easy-to-use and understand. The permit-to-work systems must promote the desired behaviours to ensure individual compliance, while being robust enough to manage multiple workgroups in complex work environments.
Our systems are designed to maintain a safe working environment while delivering ongoing efficiencies for the organisation when either applied by an individual or managing a shutdown situation involving several hundred external personnel.
Environmental, health and safety management systems for mining companies
An environment, health and safety (EHS) management system is a legal requirement in all states and territories of Australia. SSI specialises in EHS management systems that can be tailored to client needs and industry-specific legislation. An effective system will ensure a process of continual and pro-active improvement. We provide the following services:
- Development, review and implementation of EHS management systems tailored to client needs
- EHS management system mapping and planning
- Specialised service to significantly improve client systems by using a systematic application of EHS management principles and processes
- Supply of environmental and safety professionals from EHS advisors to EHS managers
- Development of supervisor safety leadership training
- Gap analysis for existing systems to ensure compliance with industry best practice
- Procedural development, review and formatting to meet client requirements
- A variety of specific EHS training packages
- Safety behavioural systems development and implementation
Industrial EHS management system development, implementation and auditing
SSI is supported by industry-specific EHS professionals who work closely with clients to provide technical support throughout all stages of an EHS management system, from its initial development through to full implementation, including follow-up auditing.
With practical experience of both statutory legislation and operational experience within industrial environments, SSI personnel provide extensive technical understanding of EHS principles and processes.
Our implementation process follows the ‘plan, do, check, act’ continuous improvement cycle, which ensures effective implementation, audit and review processes are embedded and meet the client needs.
Technical writing and training for the mining industry
SSI specialises in the development of client-specific products and services, which include:
- Site-specific induction presentations
- Standard operating procedures
- Job safety analysis / hazard analysis and identification
- Equipment isolation procedures
- Maintenance procedures
- Competency-based assessments
- Plant information training modules
- Operations manuals
- Alignment of site-specific documents to AQTF competencies
- Standard industry packages of operational and maintenance procedures
- Training needs analysis
- Mapping of learning pathways against nationally accredited training packages (RII09) and verified by a qualified and industry experienced assessor
- Implementation of employee training and development programmes
Mining industry templates and documents
SSI has a range of templates and generically developed documentation for all types of processes / industries that will decrease the time spent producing documents from the ground up, effectively saving your company time and money.
Our team consists of hands-on personnel who all have years of practical experience. They have been involved in the development and application of systems and procedures at an operational level.
Mining labour and recruitment
SSI specialises in targeted recruitment and labour for the minerals processing, mining and utilities industries. We have extensive experience in setting up commissioning teams and targeted implementation teams for both long and short-term projects. We can provide contract employees or manage the recruitment of individuals or teams across all disciplines in the resource and utilities industries.
Our national and international industry experience and exposure enables us to understand role requirements and develop recruitment processes to ensure we employ suitable personnel for specific roles in a timely manner.
We have experience in building multinational teams and managing cultural differences. We have worked with British, French, Filipino, Papua New Guinean, Indonesian and Lao nationals.
Products and Services
Smart Staff International (SSI) has successfully completed a pilot programme providing suitably qualified personnel to operate as HSE advisors for a large-scale coal facility shutdown in the Bowen Basin. The roles are targeted specifically to assist contracting company personnel efficieRead more
Smart Staff International (SSI), a resource industry leader in technical writing, permit to work systems and safety management systems, has now added a specialised recruitment division to its portfolio. The latest addition to the company was a natural progression for SSI and spawned from a continRead more