All articles by GlobalData Energy

GlobalData Energy

Mines on hold due to Covid-19 drop below 100 as lockdowns end

As mines were permitted to return to operation in Mexico and then Liberia in early June, the number of mines on hold due to COVID-19, and ensuing lockdowns or company measures, fell to 94 as of 12 June, having been 3,614 at the end of March. The largest share of these were in North America, followed by Europe and Africa, with just six in Asia-Pacific and Oceania combined.

South African platinum should recover supported by national strategy and global demand

After a substantial increase in 2015, following the 2014 strike, South Africa’s annual platinum output has been relatively flat at 4.4 to 4.5 million ounces, held back by a global oversupply, declining productivity and loss-making mines.

Global mining deal volumes dipped in 2018

M&A accounted for 50.9% of the global deal value while capital raising activities accounted for the remaining 49.1%.

Global zinc market to grow at 3.8% in 2022

The gap between demand and supply is expected to narrow and eventually the zinc market will move into a surplus in 2022.