All articles by cms admin

cms admin

Community Mining: Lessons from Canada’s Ring of Fire

A massive chromite deposit located in Canada’s ‘ring-of-fire’ could carry the steel industry for a century. The massive infrastructure project needed to the tap this resource however makes finding harmony between the local First Nation people and other relevant role players is a dififcult prospect, as Michael Schwartz finds out.

Carpathian Gold receives approval for construction of Brazilian gold mine

Carpathian Gold has received approval from the Brazilian Government for the construction of its Riacho dos Machados (RDM) gold project in the state of Minas Gerais. The project is expected to start gold operations in late 2012 or early 2013 with an annual production rate of more than 94,

China to expand Indian Ocean activities

China is planning to expand its mineral exploration activities in the seabed of the Indian Ocean. The nation received approval from the International Seabed Authority (ISA) to explore 10,000km² in the south-west area of the ocean. The country is now planning to make more

Safeguards against silicosis in mining

Silicosis has blighted the mining industry for a hundred years; it has no cure but there are options for prevention. Chris Lo finds out how this dangerous lung disease has affected the mining industry in both the developed and developing world, and how it can be prevented in the future.

Brazil Gold and SSC to develop mineral exploration technology

Brazil Gold has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Software Sciences Corporation (SSC) to launch a new exploration technology initiative. According to the MoU, both the firms will work together to jointly develop the Unified Pattern Processing (UPP) minerals exploration appl

De Beers and Botswana Government sign sales agreement for diamond production

De Beers Group and the Government of the Republic of Botswana have signed a ten-year agreement for the sorting, valuing and sale of diamond production from Debswana, a joint venture between De Beers and Botswana. Under the terms of the agreement, De Beers will transfer its London-based di

Quadra and Sumitomo form JV to develop Chilean project

Quadra FNX Mining, Sumitomo Metal Mining and Sumitomo Corporation have formed a joint venture (JV) to develop the Sierra Gorda copper-molybdenum project in Chile. Sumitomo will hold a 45% interest in the JV and Quadra FNX will hold the remaining 55% interest. Quadra FNX will condu

Rio Tinto to increase iron ore production in Western Australia

Rio Tinto is planning to invest $833m in power and fuel supply projects to increase iron ore production capacity in Western Australia. Rio Tinto will invest $520m to upgrade its integrated power and gas network to deliver an additional 120MW to sustain the current 230Mtpa capacity and su

CNEC WorleyParsons secures Brazilian contract

MMX Mineração e Metálicos (MMX) has awarded a $150m contract to Australian firm CNEC WorleyParsons to provide professional services for the expansion of the Serra Azul iron ore mining unit in Minas Gerais, Brazil. The Serra Azul expansion project comprises a new iron ore processing pla

Frontier Rare Earths receives new prospecting rights in South Africa

The South African Department of Mineral Resources has granted Frontier Rare Earths a new prospecting right near its Zandkopsdrift project. The new prospecting right covers a total area of 750km² and is located in the Namaqualand region of the Northern Cape Province of South Africa. <