Australian firm Aerometrex has signed a radar satellite imagery distribution agreement with e-GEOS, an Italian company jointly owned by the Italian Space Agency ASI and Telespazio. The distribution agreement gives AEROmetrex access to the Cosmo-SkyMed constellation of Synthetic Aperture Radar satellites, numbering four in total.
Cosmo-SkyMed radar satellite imagery has a number of key technical features which make it a very useful tool for the mining industry and for mapping in extraordinary circumstances. These include:
- The ability to capture radar imagery at night or through cloud
- The ability to capture radar imagery very rapidly and to provide near real-time mapping functions
- The ability to use PSinSAR interferometry analysis from time stacks of images over the same location to accurately determine subsidence of structures or landforms
- An outstanding maritime surveillance capability
- The ability to program the satellites to map at coarser resolutions (100m pixels) to map larger areas, or finer resolution (5m, 2.5m or 1m pixels) to map smaller target areas
To complement this outstanding data source, AEROmetrex has several key staff who are highly experienced with radar satellite imagery and able to provide our client base with a sophisticated end-to-end service.
AEROmetrex sees the SAR radar satellite capability as an ideal complementary data source to its existing aerial imagery capability.