MAYA Real-time Online Analysis of Mineral Materials
Laser Distance Spectrometry presents MAYA, a new online laser analyser of chemical compositions in mineral materials.
Safe laser analysis of mineral materials
MAYA uses laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy (LIBS) technology, which is considered to be the safest and most universal method of elemental analysis. LIBS has increasingly replaced older, more hazardous techniques, such as prompt-gamma neutron activation analysis (PGNAA) and x-ray fluorescence (XRF) in both laboratory and online applications.
Real-time data mineral analysis data and prompt technological control
The chemical composition of raw mineral materials varies significantly. This is one of the main problems in the mining industry due to the fact that it can make the composition of raw mixtures unstable.
Traditionally, laboratory analysts have been used to determine mineral composition of interest. However, often taking a couple of hours to complete, this method provides the necessary information too late, after the material has been already processed, which is not helpful in technological decision-making.
24/7 online measurement of chemical compositions
MAYA’s 24/7 online measurement of elemental compositions from materials allows users to monitor the concentration of major elements and contaminants. This provides multiple benefits for industrial processes, including the following:
- Improved quality and sales price of finished product through stabilisation of compositions in raw materials and the discharge of impurities
- Increased production due to mixing rich concentrate with poor concentrate and obtaining stable and optimal input
- Reduced energy consumption
- Reduced pollution
- Decreased positive tolerance to the main elements in a product
- Reduced rejection rate for the finished product
Flotation-specific applications of MAYA include the following:
- Monitoring of wet cake chemistry, which allows automatic flotation reagent feeding
- Monitoring the elemental composition of post-flotation materials
Automatic control system integration
MAYA’s fully automated operation eliminates possible human error. The analyser, integrated into an automatic control system and installed above the conveyor belt, transfers data in real-time to the enterprise’s SCADA system, which controls the sorting and dosing equipment’s operating mode.
Multiple mineral analysis interface compatibility
Interface with the existing SCADA systems is established through any standard currently in use, including analogue signal 4-20 mA, Excel file, MySQL, MSSQL, OPC server and many more.
Immediate rejection of mineral contamination
Alternatively, MAYA can be used in indication mode to perform manual reading and control. By using MAYA in this way, it is possible to make immediate rejection decisions in case of serious but temporary contaminations, such as large pieces of dead rock, which, after being crushed, appear as 15m to 30m-long segments on the conveyor belt and can significantly affect the quality of the final product.
MAYA has a number of different advantages, including:
- Provision of remote elemental analysis with no sample preparation
- Simultaneous analysis of many elements and detections of light elements
- High sensitivity and accuracy, which does not depend on the size of the analysed piece, the quality of its surface or the overall thickness of the layer of the material on the conveyor belt
- Low limits of detection (LOD) as a result of clear spectral lines for many elements in a wide optical wave range
- No use of x-rays, gamma rays or neutron radiation, which makes it completely safe for personnel and the environment
- No need for environmental permits, strict safety measures or laborious inspections, which are normally required with nuclear technologies. Protective goggles are the only required safety measure with MAYA
- The lowest operating expenses when compared with other online methods
- Operates 24/7 all-year-round under true industrial conditions
Please visit our website and contact us anytime. We will be happy to answer your questions. Our team of leading scientists and technicians with expertise in laser detection systems will provide you with an efficient industry-specific solution.